Ms. Ruin's Playthings


"The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates." -Oscar Wilde

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Time waits for no one

I am six days post-op and I've gotta tell you, I know exactly what they mean when they say that time waits for no one.  I might be down and out and unable to do the things I want to do at full capacity but things still need to get done and projects need to be met and appointments have to be filled, etc.
 
Restrictions?  What does that even mean?  It means that my medical professional expects that I am at home healing for a minimum of two weeks --that I am not overexerting myself in any way, shape or form.  However, what does restrictions mean to me?  Well, it means business as usual in all areas of my life --to the fullest of my ability and careful to air on the side of caution.  After all, I don't want to be limited for too long.  This is especially difficult for neat freaks like myself.  :|  But I'm managing.
 
Anyway!  The holidays are here.  Did you get that memo?  I can't believe it and as much as I want to break things off with the holidays (it's not you, it's me...this is moving too fast), business is good for Ms. Ruin's Playthings (Etsy) and Through These Eyes.  I have been filling orders left and right and shipping playthings and even some of my prints all over the country.  I am blessed that people are digging my art.  Thank you, thank you!  Photography is keeping me busy as well.  I had a shoot today, one tomorrow and then two more next week.  This is where I REALLY need to be taking it easy.  I am used to getting on the ground and bending and squatting in all sorts of angles to get my shots.  Well, that's a no-no in my healing process.  :(  Fortunately my clients have been so understanding and accommodating.  In fact, here is one of my cuter clients...a shot from today at Williams Park in University Park, Texas:
 
 
Allow me to switch gears now as we visit some loveliness.  Ms. Dee Dee hosted the vintage mum swap at Artsy Fartsy for the month of November.  I was a little apprehensive because I wasn't sure that I could truly pull it off.  I've made a mum or 50 in my life time (no, I'm not joking --my mother owned a business) however I was afraid I would screw up the vintage portion of the swap.  But I tackled my own insecurities and I've gotta tell ya, I kinda want to keep my mum.  LOL.  I know, I'm terrible.
 
 
Isn't it lovely?  I didn't add any glitter or my swap partner's name.  Instead I just added a few accents that I thought fit the common goal --some vintage buttons and embroidery, a star, a key, and a purple flower for a punch of color (plus I really love purple).  I wanted to add a whistle but I ran out of time. 
 
 
I think this is truly a "timeless" piece of work if I do say so myself.
 
 
Now, about the actual "mum" --well, errrr, flower.  I know it's absolutely beautiful, but this was sooooooooooo muuuuuuucccchhhh wooooooorrrrk.  However, I currently have lots of time since I am on medical leave.  So no problem!  Although not trivial at all, it is tedious in nature and will likely never do this again.  But this is what I did...
 
 
I bought a round styrofoam ball and cut it in half.  I then took this lovely trim by Maya Road and pinned it to the styrofoam.  I went round and round and round (off and on) for a day and a half.  I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty brutal.  But the end result was gratifying.  :)  I know that my swap partner will cherish it. 
 
Until next time...
 
Peace, love, and mums!

No comments:

Post a Comment