Ms. Ruin's Playthings


"The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates." -Oscar Wilde

Monday, April 25, 2011

Zipper Rose Tutorial

To make a rose with Maya Road’s awesome new zippers I used a 1.5” in diameter round piece of chipboard, approximately 2.5 ft of zipper, and a glue gun.  If your zipper is not 2.5 ft in length, don't sweat it...you can use several pieces.  Just imagine, you can make a multi-colored zipper flower!  ::giddy::  Also, you may use a different form of adhesive – I first tried fabric glue however I am very impatient so hot glue is the way to go for me.


I start the rose by gluing the zipper straight across the edge of the chipboard. 


I then apply a dot of hot glue (see indicator) and pinch the zipper back.  This will cause the zipper to curve.  Do not be afraid to be aggressive with your zipper.  In fact, you have to be sometimes. 


Continue to do this in sections until you have gone all the way around the outer edge of the chipboard.  With this piece of 1.5” chipboard, I was able to wrap the zipper around it 5 times (5 sections) as seen below.


Now it’s time to start working your way inward.  Again, don’t fear the zipper – you will have to be a bit aggressive.  Also, be a bit more liberal with the glue as you move inward because your space is getting tighter and you want your flower to hold.  Once I get to row two I apply the hot glue directly to the chipboard. 


Since you are working with excess hot glue and you need to move quickly, use a pencil or a stick or some other tool that you can apply pressure with.  This will push the glue into the fibers of the zipper and hold it in place.


Continue to work your way to the center as seen here:


Once you get to the very end, trim the excess zipper if still very long.  Make sure you leave enough zipper to finish the flower  Apply hot glue to the center of the flower and then tuck the end of exposed zipper as seen here to the center of your flower.


Apply to craft project and admire!

1 comment:

  1. So nice! I think I will copy this idea... Lovely! Bye
    Kisses from Italy

    ReplyDelete