Ms. Ruin's Playthings


"The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates." -Oscar Wilde

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Art for the Heart Update


Art for the Heart is headed to Jonathan’s Place (JP)!  Yep, we have found our first facility to implement my art program.  JP is an emergency shelter for abused/neglected children.  The facility currently has an art room but no supplies so that is where I come in!

Orientation to the facility is October 3 and I’m hoping that the week following orientation we will be able to begin piloting the program.  I will be working with two different groups of children at JP and I am currently looking for volunteers to assist with the youngest group that ranges from 4-7 years of age.  My plan is to visit with this group twice a month and I will need one volunteer for each session.

Below is the Art for the Heart volunteer description.  If you or someone you know meets the criteria and would like to donate two hours per month, please let me know ASAP.

QUALIFICATIONS:  Volunteer must be a loving, patient and compassionate individual that works well with children undergoing life transitions or crisis.  Volunteer should be accepting and prepared to relate to children of diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.  Volunteer should be a positive role model for children.

There will also be opportunities to help prepare supplies for each class, however no orientation is required for that.  Please message me at artfortheheartdallas@gmail.com if you or someone you know would like to assist with program or if you would like to make a supply donation.

I can’t tell you how very excited I am that this is finally taking off.  I have been pretty emotional the past couple of days.  I am so blessed and so anxious to spend time with children in need.  There is no price tag for distracting these kids from whatever obstacles they are facing, even if just for a few hours per month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment