Ms. Ruin's Playthings


"The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates." -Oscar Wilde

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Owl Love You Forever

Last year I introduced you to the Regal Tweet --well, today I am formally introducing you to their cousins, the Regal Hoots!  I guess these aren't exactly regal since they are not wearing crowns but a crown is just a minor detail when the owls are so stinkin' cute!  

In my previous post I showed you the before and after.  In case you missed that, this is what the owls looked like when I purchased them at Michael's:



But a little patterned paper, glue, bottle caps, clay, and crackle paint truly brought them to life!  I'm not going to go into a step by step details but I will highlight some of the things I did along the way --in no particlar order.  So lets meet Regal Hoot number one...this is Herman!

This bottle vintage bottle cap paper is by Tim Holtz.  I covered both the front and the back with paper and inked the edges with distress ink in Antique Photo.  


I painted the sides with Vintage Photo Distress Crackle.  Please note that I did this step first.

Since I used bottle cap paper, I thought it would fitting to give Herman bottle cap eyes.  :)  About the heart and the beak.  I rolled out orange and red polymer clay and I cut out hearts and different sized beaks.  I baked them in the oven for about 15 minutes and then I gave them a glossy finish with alcohol inks.  Before I glued everything down on the paper, I spread Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint and let it dry/crackle.

Alright --now it's time to meet "The Baby"...

Isn't he stinkin' adorable????

Look at his hiney!  Tee hee hee hee hee.  This paper is also by Tim Holtz.

I basically repeated the steps from my first owl on this one.  I really do make these little fellas with love.  Every heart and every beak are unique.  So special!

This little guy has been flapping his wings, practicing his flying before he leaves the nest.  I made his wings out of corrugated cardboard --I painted them very randomly with white crackle paint and when it was dry I distressed it with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.  If you would like to give this little guy a home, visit my Etsy listing.  I promise he is even more adorable in person.  You will definitely be seeing more Regal Hoots and Regal Tweets this year!

On a side note, I'm happy to report that Herman has already found a home.  ::smile::

Peace, love, and owl catch you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment