Ms. Ruin's Playthings


"The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates." -Oscar Wilde

Monday, January 10, 2011

Scrapbook Revelation

This past weekend I attended a crop day at the Crafty Scrapper in Waxahachie, Texas.  I normally take stamps, acrylic blocks, distress inks, and other things of that nature, to work on altered art such as tags, shadow boxes, canvas, etc.  However, this past weekend I took scrapbook kits.

Here's the thing...I joined Studio Calico in 2007 and was receiving their monthly kits.  I absolutely love their kits...by far some of the best out there.  However, I wasn't using them because scrapbooking just really isn't my thing.  I mean, sure, I started out as a scrapbooker but I am really no good at it.  I make pretty "okay" pages, but nothing that needs to be sent to a publisher!  In fact, I only made ONE page the entire time we were at the crop.  I know, pretty pathetic.  But I didn't have the pictures that I was desiring so that's my bad. 

As I sat there feeling disappointed with myself - I thought "gosh, what am I gonna do with all of these beautiful kits?"  Then I had a revelation.  USE THEM.  No, really.  I have decided that from here on out, I will ONLY take scrapbook kits to crops and retreats.  It is next to impossible to take everything I will need to create altered art because I will always be lacking something.  So altered art really needs to be done at home.  But these are "kits" and essentially have everything that you will need to create projects.  So, I guess I'm going to start scrapbooking once again.  :) 

Pretty clever, huh?

With that said...here is the ONE page that I created this weekend.




The floral pieces are from a patterned paper - don't remember who makes it though.  I cut out the designs and used them as embellishments.  Notice the scalloped edge above the pictures mat.  It's an acrylic stamp!  Most of my work has to have a little distress to it so I took the chipboard letters which are brown and then sanded them down a bit.  Just a little something I like to do.

I like the way this turned out for the most part.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment