Ms. Ruin's Playthings


"The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates." -Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Santa Claus is Coming to Town


I grew up in what is considered an underprivileged neighborhood. Although my parents were always able to provide for us, many times in excess of what our true needs were, there were and are many families in this neighborhood that do not have that concession. I can remember being a kid and thinking that every little boy and girl woke up to presents under the tree.  What a rude awakening it was for me to find out that some of the kids I rode the school bus with were not as fortunate.  I was shocked when a best friend confided in me that she entered a drawing to win the classroom Christmas tree because her parents could not afford one.  I told my mom that story and her heart broke just as mine had as I sat beside my friend just hours ago.  As luck would have it, she won the drawing and her family had the tree delivered to their home just in time for Christmas.    

But what’s a tree without presents?  Every Christmas Eve, Santa Claus comes to visit my childhood neighborhood.  I mean, an actual man dressed in a red suit hauling presents --comes to visit us for as long as I can remember.  One year he even arrived in a Cadillac!  But most years he arrives in a big loud fire truck.


This year was no different.  I heard the fire truck shortly after 1pm on Christmas Eve.  Unfortunately we didn’t have any kids to share the experience with as neither of my nephews were around.  In fact, the only other person at home was my dad.  I quickly ran to put my tennis shoes on and shouted down the hall “SANTA’S COMING!!!  DAD, HERE COMES SANTA!!!!!”  I had so much anticipation and excitement inside of me that I couldn’t even tie my shoe laces.  LOL.  I was reminded of being a little girl and dashing down the street to meet the fire truck.  I could hear my mom’s voice in my head, hollering at my brothers and telling them to hold my hand as we crossed the street.  ::big smile::

My dad and I made our way out the front door and waved at the roaring fire truck as it went by.  We caught up with them as they came to a stop down the street.  We watched the neighborhood kids meet Santa and receive their gifts.  I was filled with so many good memories of Christmas past and I was reminded of just how blessed I truly am.  ::choked up with tears::  A big THANK YOU to the City of Weslaco and the Weslaco Fire Department for their annual efforts in spreading Christmas cheer in places where it is truly needed. 

Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano Nuevo!

No comments:

Post a Comment